Last Updated on April 16, 2023 by Tabraiz
Subacute thyroiditis (SAT) is the condition of an inflamed thyroid gland that is caused as an immune reaction, usually as the body’s response to an infection in the upper respiratory system. The condition is also known by other names like De Quervain’s thyroiditis, Subacute nonsuppurative thyroiditis, Giant cell thyroiditis, Subacute granulomatous thyroiditis and Hyperthyroidism – subacute thyroiditis. A consultation with a doctor online can help you understand the causes and symptoms of SAT and a thyroid specialist in Patna can help treat this condition.
Causes of subacute thyroiditis
According to thyroid specialists in Patna, the common causes for SAT are as follows:
- SAT is an uncommon condition, generally occurring in the aftermath of viral infections in the sinus, throat, ears or even viral flu, mumps or common cold. Typically, SAT may last anywhere from one to six weeks.
- The group in which SAT is seen most often are women aged between 40 to 55 years who have suffered from the above health conditions during the past one month. Do consult a doctor online in case you have had a history with these ailments.
- Thyroid specialist in Patna say that the condition is not genetically inherited, unlike some other thyroid conditions.
- SAT is a non- communicable disease (NCD) and thus cannot be transmitted from one person to another.
- Vaccines against viral flus and other viral diseases help reduce the risk of developing SAT.
Symptoms of subacute thyroiditis
According to thyroid specialists in Patna, the common symptoms seen in SAT are as follows:
- The thyroid gland is found in the neck, located a little above the spot where your collar bones meet. The thyroid gland is inflamed and swollen and can be painful for several weeks. This is the most common symptom. Do consult a doctor online if this symptom starts to show after a viral illness.
- The pain can often spread to the jaws and ears. This is known as “creeping thyroiditis”.
- The area surrounding the thyroid gland feels tender and painful even when pressure is applied gently.
- Swallowing is hard and the throat feels hoarse.
- General weakness and fatigue in the body
- During SAT, the thyroid gland is inflamed and secretes more than the normal level of thyroid hormones, resulting in the condition of hyperthyroidism. Hyperthyroidism, in turn, may cause the following symptoms to appear:
- Increased frequency of movements of bowels
- Increased hair fall
- Intolerance to heat
- Irregularity or light flow of blood during periods
- Mood swings
- Increased sweating, shakiness and anxiety
- Increase in appetite, but loss of weight
- During healing of SAT, the thyroid gland secretes less than the normal level of thyroid hormones, resulting in the condition of hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism, in turn, may cause the following symptoms to appear:
- Decreased frequency of movements of bowels- constipation
- Intolerance to cold
- Irregularity or heavy flow of blood during periods
- Mood swings
- Gain of weight
- Skin feels dry and cracked
- General fatigue
The functioning of the thyroid gland may take a few months to return to normal. However, in rare cases the hypothyroidism might be permanent. Thyroid specialists in Patna will help you get a diagnosis and treatment of SAT, through consulting doctor online.
Diagnosis of subacute thyroiditis
A clinical diagnosis by thyroid specialists in Patna is needed to diagnose SAT. Some laboratory tests that can be prescribed to you by doctors online are:
- Level of Thyroid stimulating hormone (TSH)
- Level of T4 (thyroid hormone, thyroxine) and T3
- Uptake of radioactive iodine
- Level of Thyroglobulin
- Erythrocyte sedimentation rate (ESR)
- C reactive protein (CRP)
- An ultrasound of the thyroid gland
- A biopsy of the thyroid gland, in a few cases
Treatment of subacute thyroiditis
SAT usually goes away on its own, although it may take many months of it to be fully cured. Take advice from doctors online to help manage SAT from home. Treatments include to reduce the symptoms such as pain and inflammation and swelling of the thyroid gland. Moreover, treatment for hyperthyroidism and hypothyroidism may be needed in the different stages of SAT. Pay a visit to some of the best thyroid specialists in Patna for SAT treatment.
Thyroid specialists in Patna
Get advice from the best thyroid specialists in Patna through consultations with doctors online:
- Dr. Anuj Kumar
- Dr. Subhash Kumar
- Dr. Neeraj Sinha
- Dr. Sajjad Ahsan
- Dr. A. S. Prakash
- Dr. Anil Kumar Singh
- Dr. Anshuman Kumar
- Dr. Pradeep Kumar
- Dr. Santosh Kumar Singh
- Dr. Harish Mitra
Subacute thyroiditis is thus a temporary condition of swollen thyroid gland and happens as the body’s response to previous viral illness. The best thyroid specialists in Patna will help you understand the condition and manage the symptoms through consultations with doctors online.